Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Southern Baptists Are Stuck In The South

I was challenged by an article on the SBC OUTPOST blog. The article dealt with the growth or lack of growth of the Southern Baptist Convention in America. When I talk about lack of growth I don't mean numerically, although that point can be made, but I mean geographically. I now understand why the proposal failed at the Convention to change the name of the Southern Baptist Convention. Most Southern Baptists are in the South. I wonder if our methods as Southern Baptist have become so mixed with southern culture that we are ineffective in our pursuit to evangelize the rest of America. We can't be promoters of culture, but we must be preachers of Christ. People don't have to accept southern culture to accept Christ. For Southern Baptists to be successful we must move beyond being southern.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home