Thursday, August 31, 2006

Token Black Guy

I have no desire to be political, but to challenge a problem I see in Southern Baptist Churches. The Sunday morning worship hour is the most segregated time of the week. The whites go to their churches, while the blacks go to theirs. Nobody cares where the Hispanics go because most of them are Illegals anyway. Sorry for the satire but this really isn't an issue to laugh about. Here is my point, I believe that we are satisfied with having token black men and Hispanic men serving on our boards and speaking at our conventions so that we give the appearance of being a denomination that is racially unified.

We aren't racially unified. It is sad to realize that Southern Baptists in the 21st century have about as many minorities in their churches as they did thirty years ago. Racial unification has to be more than inviting Dr. Fred Luter to speak at our convention. When will black men and women become part of our church staffs? When will our churches represent our cultural make-up?

How do I know that the SBC is dealing with this issue, because at my second church, I had my job as pastor threatened by a deacon and a man with lots of influence because I was witnessing to black families and inviting them to church. Let me be clear, I'm not saying that Southern Baptists are racists or that SBC leaders aren't working for there to be multi-culture unification in the church. What I am saying is that every person needs to examine their own heart and determine if they are still limited by color. More needs to be done!

My challenge to everyone and to every church is to be as much like heaven as possible by bringing the nations together to worship before the Lord. There are no token people in the Kingdom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home