Friday, August 25, 2006

Seven Questions with Dr. Jeff Clark

1. What is your greatest passion?

a. My greatest passion is to see people come to Christ. Leading someone personally is my greatest joy.

b. My second greatest joy is seeing someone come to Christ through churches I have helped.

2. In your opinion what is the main thing that must happen in the SBC to build momentum for Kingdom growth over the next 5 years.

We need to focus on the fields rather than on the harvesters.

3. What are some church trends that you see that cause you concern? What are some church trends that cause you excitement?

a. I am concerned that we are focused on building our kingdoms. A tremendous amount of resources goes into building buildings and keeping these buildings going rather than on the harvest. We tend to build bigger combines rather than efficient combines.

b. I am excited to see church planting as a priority. With this emphasis comes an emphasis on starting smaller, less expensive and more efficient churches.

4. Why where some factors that lead you into denominational work?

I came to the conclusion that by doing denominational work I could multiply the harvest rather than just add to the harvest.

5. If you could give one word of encouragement to every Baptist minister what would it be?

Luke 12:32 “Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.” For all those pastors out there struggling in small churches, just know God has given YOU the Kingdom!


6. In a day and time where there seems to be so little leadership in the church, what has been the secret to your success as a leader?

a. I am not a leader. I am a follower. There are no leaders in Christianity, only fellow followers.

b. There is a seduction in becoming a “leader.” It is intoxicating to have followers. Yet Jesus asked His disciples to, “Come, follow Me.”

c. There is an old adage that states, “lead, follow, or get out of the way.” I am coming to the conclusion that I need to be more like the person that gets out of the way. I believe too many people step up when God wants us to get out of the way.

7. Over the next year what are some things you hope to accomplish and how can my readers and I be praying for you?

Two issues are on my heart.

i. How to help small churches. No one is writing about, championing, or supporting pastors in small or rural churches.

ii. Increasing vision for international missions. We must focus on the world. We do not get to do only a part of Acts 1:8


Dr. Jeff Clark is the Executive Director/Treasurer for the Montana Southern Baptist Convention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home