Friday, June 30, 2006

“Signs That You May Be A Blog-aholic”


Ephesians 5:15-16,

“Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.”


Of all the criticism launched at Baptist blogs in the last couple of months, I believe one issue needs to be addressed. The issue is the danger that blogs will steal time that could be given to better things. In this article, I don’t want to discourage anyone from blogging or reading other blogs, but I do want to encourage everyone to be a balanced Baptist blogger.

Blogging has become an incredible format for sharing information and developing relationships with other people. The problem is that to produce a blog that people are going to be interested in takes time. Most likely a successful blogger will need to post at least two new articles a week. Most articles take time to develop. A successful blogger will spend time doing some research on his topics so that his articles make sense. For me personally, I average about one-two hours in preparing for a post. If I tried to post everyday, blogging would become a part-time job. Then there is following up with the comments which also take up time.

My encouragement is for every blogger to examine their time and make sure that they are keeping the main thing the main thing. My ministry calling is to pastor and I must not let my passion for blogging keep me from my pastoral responsibilities, but to become another tool I use for sharing the gospel and for training up others. Allow your blog to be an extension of your ministry, but not your only ministry.

I believe that as bloggers we must be careful to not become blog-aholics. This happens when blogging becomes my greatest passion, consumes all my time, or all my thinking. Use wisdom and be careful with your time so that your blog not only brings glory to God, but also honor to you personally.

I have tried to create a list of funny helpful clues that you maybe a blog-aholic. Feel free to add to the list.

“Clues That You Maybe A Blog-aholic”

- You have more blogs than children.

- You created a new staff position at your church called Minister of Blogs.

- When your spouse tells you that they want to talk, you tell them to leave a comment.

- You have your name legally changed to the title of your blog.

- Your job gets in the way of your blogging.

- You name your baby "Template".

- When your spouse demands that you take a blogging vacation you see it as another form of Christian persecution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home