Friday, July 14, 2006

"Seven Questions with Dr. Anthony Jordan"

1. What were some of the key issues that led you to serve in a denominational position?

I know this sounds very cliché but first and foremost I received a clear call from God that I could not escape. As a part of that call there were some specific things to Oklahoma. First, the Lord spoke clearly to me about the future of Falls Creek. Second, the need to restore church planting and evangelism to the center of our convention gripped me. Third, the need to take the convention to the churches rather than waiting for the churches to come to us. Fourth, I sensed a deep need for the BGCO to become extra-ordinarily strategic and intentional in the way we did our work rather than just reacting to the times.

2. What is your greatest passion?

My greatest passion is to abide in Christ and thus produce fruit that remains. As to my work it is to lead Oklahoma Baptists to be Acts 1:8 people who will not rest until we have carried the gospel from the end of our nose to the ends of the earth.

3. In your opinion what is the main thing that must happen in the SBC to build momentum for Kingdom growth over the next 5 years.

Set aside politics and restore the focus and passion of our churches on evangelism and missions.

4. At the 2006 SBC Convention Southern Baptists made a renewed commitment to the Cooperative Program. Why should a church support the Cooperative Program and how does it impact your area of ministry?

The answer is simple. We can do more together than alone. No church could touch the tip of the iceberg of missions and ministry that is accomplished through the Cooperative Program. Every church whether large or small can be a part of the vast kingdom work through the Cooperative Program. There is no better, more effective and efficient system for missions and ministry known to man. You get the biggest bang for your buck!

5. If you could give one word of encouragement to every Baptist minister what would it be?

Abide in Christ and other things will come to you. Get a vision for your ministry for your church and do not try to duplicate what others have done. Learn from others but allow God to shape and create in you a ministry unique to your ministry setting.

6. What has been the secret to your success as a denominational leader?

I am humbled that you would ask such a question. While I could say it in a lot of ways it boils down to the fact I love God and his people. People will follow when they know you love them. In the end because I have sought the face of God for direction the Lord has allowed me to lead with boldness and faith that stretches all of us to go beyond our abilities. What he accomplishes on the basis of faith far outstrips our own abilities.

7. Over the next year what are some things you hope to accomplish and how can my readers and I be praying for you?

1. I hope to see the Acts 1:8 vision capture the hearts of Oklahoma Baptists.

2. We must raise an additional $7mil. for Falls Creek over the next 14 months.

3. I long to see our churches return to their passion to reach Oklahoma with the gospel. We have lost our edge and need to refocus. Too many of us spend too much time focused on how to make the saints comfortable rather than how to reach the lost. It isn’t about us it is about them.

4. Please pray that my preaching will remain fresh and I can be used to challenge people everywhere I go to walk with Christ.


Dr. Anthony Jordan is the Executive Director of the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma. Dr. Jordan also served as the chair of the Ad Hoc Cooperative Program Committee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home