Friday, June 15, 2007

"Am I a Southern Baptist?

At fifteen I became a believer in Christ, was baptized as a sign of my faith in the Lord, and joined the local Baptist church my parents attended. Since that time I have considered myself a Southern Baptist. I graduated from a Baptist college, served as pastor of several Baptist churches, and got a MDIV from a Baptist seminary, but with recent events I have began to question my ability to serve in this denomination. I would image that I’m not alone. I’m not trying to take sides in any debate, but I wonder if I can continue to be a Southern Baptist and hold to the principles I believe the Bible teaches.

Over the next several weeks I will share my beliefs on some important issues and as I struggle through this process, I invite anyone who wants to join in to share your views. You don’t have to agree with me, but realize there are people just like me in every Baptist Church.

My goal is to help every reader to realize that this isn’t about the Baptist “liberals” against the Baptist “conservatives”, but real people trying to figure out the best way they can serve their God and follow His will.

As I share my beliefs, I hope to learn from you and for you to learn from me. It will be interesting at the end of the journey to see if I’m still considered a Southern Baptist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home